Whether you sew for a hobby or for business, one thing is for certain – you need a sewing machine that is going to show your skills off to the fullest, and help you to achieve the perfect finish on whatever you’re creating.
But with hundreds of sewing machines available online these days, it can be difficult to determine which one is going to match your talent, and isn’t just designed to carry out basic stitches.
That’s why we’ve taken the guesswork out of it for you, and have compiled a list of our favorite sewing machines for advanced sewers, along with a buying guide to help you choose the best machine for your individual needs.
If you’re in a hurry and want to find an advanced sewing machine that will enhance your skill set even further, take a look at our top pick below:
In a hurry? This is our winner!
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
Best Sewing Machine for Advanced Sewers – Comparison Table
Best Sewing Machine for Advanced Sewers – Reviews
Packed full of features, this computerized sewing machine from Singer is the ultimate for advanced sewing and crafting, and with an easy-to-load bobbin and automatic needle threader, you’ll be up and running in next to no time.
Including basic, decorative and stretch stitches, this sewing machine has 600 built in stitch patterns as well as 13 buttonhole styles that will give you total creative control when it comes to making stunning garments, home decor and more.
One-touch stitch selection, visible on the LCD display screen, makes choosing the perfect stitch pattern for your project easy, and the machine will even memorize your top 8 most commonly used stitches so you can get to them even faster next time.
If you’re working on a large project, then the included extension table will transform and expand the surface to allow you more control over the fabric. As well as 18 presser feet so you can work on a variety of projects, this machine also comes complete with a seam ripper, quilting bar, clearance plate and a tonne of other great accessories.
- Includes over 600 built in stitches and 13 buttonholes styles
- One-touch stitch selection makes choosing the perfect style easy
- Extension table increases the working area for larger projects
- Comes with 18 presser feet and a wide selection of other accessories
- Some customers found that the instruction manual was not detailed enough, but were able to find extra help on YouTube
If embroidery is your craft of choice, then this computerized sewing machine from Brother is exactly what you’re looking for. A built-in 4×4 embroidery field with an included hoop, arm and foot will help you get professional results at the touch of the button. You can even import your own designs with the built-in USB port!
With just the touch of a lever, the automatic needle threader will take all of the hard work out of threading your machine, which is especially useful if your creation requires a lot of differently colored threads.
With 103 built-in sewing stitches, and 6 embroidery fonts, this machine will give you full creative control over your embroidery, and the full-color LCD touch screen display allows you to easily choose and read the functions that you’ve selected. You can even change the individual colour threads using a built in color palette and preview it before stitching.
The super bright LED lit work area will give a perfect, clear view of your project, which is fantastic for intricate patterns or for stitching on darker fabrics, and the convertible free arm is great for stitching sleeves, jeans or anything cylindrical. This fantastic sewing machine also comes complete with a range of accessories including 7 sewing feet, a 6 piece needle set, 3 pre-wound bobbins and more.
- Perfect for embroidery projects thanks to an included 4×4 embroidery field
- Automatic needle threader makes threading the machine a breeze
- Has 103 built-in stitches and 6 embroidery fonts
- The 4×4 embroidery may not be big enough if you’re looking to embroider on a large area of fabric
Perfect for the more advanced sewer, this fully computerized machine from Janone will take your creative projects to the next level. Built with cutting-edge technology, it includes 100 stitch patterns as well as 7 buttonhole stitches, which is perfect if you’re using your machine to make clothing.
The automatic needle threader will have your machine up and running and ready to start sewing in a matter of seconds, and the simple and convenient control buttons make operating the machine easy.
This sewing machine comes with an included extension table, which allows you to expand the surface area of the free arm and tackle larger projects. The free arm is also removable and houses a handy storage compartment for you to keep threads, needles and scissors close to hand. Removing the free arm also gives you a smaller work surface for more sewing more intricate details, or hemming a pair of pants.
As well as all of these amazing features, this sewing machine also includes a hard cover to keep your machine clean and dust-free when it’s not in use.
- Fully computerized with 100 stitch patterns and 7 buttonhole stitches
- Automatic needle threader will get your machine ready to start stitching in a matter of seconds
- Includes a free arm extension table that allows you to create larger projects
- Doesn’t include various embroidery fonts like some other machines do
Singer has been a front runner when it comes to sewing machines for decades, and this computerized model lives up to the standard of quality you’d expect from this reputable brand.
It has 960 built in stitches including 6 styles of alphabet, and a buttonhole sewing function, along with a stitch reference chart which is located on the upper lid of the machine that allows you to quickly reference all the stitches and choose the best one for your project.
An easy-threading system with an automatic needle threader allows you get the whole machine ready to start sewing in as little as 6 seconds. It also has an extra large LCD touch-screen for easy operation, that shows you the stitch settings you’ve selected, along with stitch settings, width and recommended presser foot.
As if all of that wasn’t enough, this sewing machine has a mirror imaging and elongation function, and includes 13 presser feet so you can really expand your sewing skills. This amazing sewing machine really can do it all!
- Fully computerized with 960 built in stitches, a buttonhole sewing function and a stitch reference chart
- Has an easy-thread system with an automatic needle threader
- An easy to read, LCD touchscreen display allows you to easily select the correct stitching mode for your project
- Includes 13 presser feet that will help you succeed with making even the most intricate creations
- Some customers found that this machine was quite slow to operate when used for quilting
Delivering couture level stitching, this sewing machine from brother is perfect if making clothes or tailoring is your craft. Ultra lightweight and portable, it’s 50 built in stitches will help you customize your style with ease and give you professional results.
An easy to read LCD display screen with an intuitive stitch selector allows you to choose the perfect stitch for your project, and will also advise you of the best presser foot to use. It also has a handy, quick-reference stitch chart so you can be sure you’re choosing the correct one before commencing with your work.
The automatic threader takes the hard work out of pushing the thread through the eye of the needle, and the quick-set top bobbin is super easy to load, allowing you to get on with your craft in a matter of seconds.
This brilliant machine also has a vertical spool pin which helps to ensure consistent thread feeding, which is imperative when using metallic or specialist threads. You can even add that extra detail to your garments with the built-in decorative, scallop, checkerboard or feather stitch patterns.
- Has 50 built in stitches and 5 buttonhole patterns
- Easy to read LCD screen lets you easily select the stitch pattern you require
- Vertical spool pin ensures a consistent thread feed when using metallic or specialist threads
- Only has 50 inbuilt stitches, which isn’t as many as some other machines offer
Best Sewing Machine for Advanced Sewers – Buyers Guide
What to look for when choosing a sewing machine for advanced sewers
Choosing the right sewing machine for your needs isn’t only going to help you advance your skills, but will also make certain aspects of your craft easier to manage. By taking a few things into consideration before making your final decision, you’ll be able to determine exactly what it is you want from your machine.
Ease of Use
The idea of a sewing machine is to help make life easier, so you are going to want a machine that isn’t going to take a long time to figure out.
Control dials are something to bear in mind when finding your perfect sewing machine. One-touch buttons are great and simple to use, whilst other machines have touch screens that help you flick through the various patterns, however these can be difficult for the more tech-phobic out there.
Built-in Stitch Patterns
Regardless of what it is you’re creating, you are going to need the perfect stitch for it. Computerized machines that are designed for the more advanced sewer tend to come with a lot of prebuilt stitch programmes that will allow you to find the ideal pattern.
Some sewing machines also include programmes that allow you to stitch with different fonts and font sizes, so this is definitely something to look out for if embroidery is something you enjoy.
If you’re planning on making a lot of clothes with your sewing machine, it’s also worth looking for one that has multiple buttonhole styles to choose from. This will definitely take the hard work out of getting a smooth, stitched buttonhole finish.
As well as built-in stitch patterns, many advanced sewing machines come with other useful features, so it’s definitely worth seeing what other benefits you can get from it.
Automatic needle threaders are a fantastic extra feature, and will definitely take the hard work out of trying to get the thread through the eye of the needle. Some machines even come with USB ports that will let you upload your own embroidery designs, which is a great feature if you’re making something personalised.
Certain jobs that you might want to carry out on your sewing machine will require different types of presser feet for the task. So whether you’re looking to sew a zipper onto a homemade pair of jeans, or applique a patchwork quilt, keep an eye out for a sewing machine that comes with multiple presser feet so you can get the most of out of it and really flex your creative muscle.
If you’re unsure as to what foot you need to use for a certain task, look for a computerized sewing machine that will tell you! Many now have the capability to let you know which foot is best for the stitch you’ve chosen, taking the guesswork out of it and ensuring you get amazing results.
Unless you have a dedicated sewing or craft room, the chances are that you’re not going to want to leave your new sewing machine lying around in the open, so give some thought to how easy picking it up and storing it away will be.
Lightweight machines aren’t only great for storing away more easily, but can also be really beneficial to anybody that uses their machine for business purposes and may need to travel with it.
Also, to prevent any damage and to stop any dirt collecting on your machine when it’s not in use, it would be a good idea to buy one that has a dust cover included. A cover is especially good for anybody travelling with their sewing machine.
Finally, you should always look for a sewing machine that includes a warranty. This will give you total piece of mind if anything were to go wrong with your machine, and means that you won’t have to shop around for another machine to replace the one you love.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a computerized sewing machine really necessary?
If you’re an advanced sewer and want a machine that is going to help you show your skills off to the fullest, then a computerized sewing machine really is the best way to do this. Not only will you have multiple stitching options to choose from but, depending on the model, you’ll be able to create a variety of clothes, home decor and more.
What is the best sewing machine for making clothes?
This will come down to personal preference, however bear in mind that making clothes requires a lot of different types of stitching. So if you’re looking for a sewing machine to create garments on, then you should choose one that comes with multiple stitching options. It’s also worth looking for one with an included extending table so you can increase your working area, and a good light so you can see the stitching on darker fabrics.
What do different presser feet do?
Different presser feet add different functionalities to your machine, so you’ll be able to sew more than just a straight-line stitch. They will also help you utilize your time better and achieve the results you are looking for. So whether you’re quilting, stitching into satin or sewing on fringe, each presser foot will have been specifically designed to help make life easier for you.
What other accessories should I look out for?
Most sewing machines will come with a wide range of accessories, so it’s worth seeing what you can get for your money. Depending on what you use your machine for, you may want to look for a machine that comes with extra needles, scissors, built-in storage, machine oil, seam ripper or a dust cover to help keep it clean.
Is a vertical or a horizontal spool pin better?
There isn’t actually very much difference between the two, however a vertical spoon pin will allow you to sew with metallic or specialist threads with a minimal risk of the thread snapping. Most sewing machines will come with both vertical and horizontal spool pins, so depending on the task you’re carrying out, you should be able to choose from either.
Leave a Reply