Fashion failures come without a warning. Whether it is during a stroll in the park or in the middle of a presentation, we have all been through mistimed fashion disasters. We expect you to know just how awkward it can be to walk around with a missing button or an accidental tear in your shirt.
Fortunately, the awkward days of sporting such fashion embarrassments are well behind us now. Handheld sewing machines might not be the most exciting invention in town, but they surely rank among the top few if we were to line up inventions based on their usefulness and capability of saving the day.
These portable and handheld sewing machines closely resemble a stapler. You can carry one in your bag, or even in your baggy pockets. While these machines are no match to their convention sewing machine counterparts in features, they still offer unbelievable usefulness, functionality and versatility on the go.
If you’re in search of a handheld sewing machine, then you are at the right place. In this article we review and take a detailed look at some of the best handheld sewing machines on the market. Since these machines are still relatively new, we have put extra hours into researching and testing these products to recommend you 5 of the very best.
- 1 TLDR: This Is Our Top Pick
- 2 Reviews of the Best Handheld Sewing Machines
- 2.1 1. Singer Stitch Sew Quick Portable Mending Machine
- 2.2 2. Jeteven Handheld Sewing Machine
- 2.3 3. Singer Handy Stitch Handheld Portable Sewing Machine
- 2.4 4. Amado Mini Handheld Portable Sewing Machine
- 2.5 5. Freyamall Portable Sewing Machine
- 3 Buying Guide for the Best Handheld Sewing Machine
TLDR: This Is Our Top Pick
Singer Stitch Sew Quick Portable Mending Machine
The Singer Stitch Sew Quick Portable Mending Machine is our top pick for obvious reasons. While the machine is primarily focused on making small repairs, it can also help stitch up some heavy duty materials like leather and denim. The compact size and portability are two benefits you will most definitely enjoy.
This Singer Stitch Mending Machine comes with a variety of bobbins, needles and a convenient needle threader. These additional materials and the features themselves make this machine extremely easy to use on the go and for emergency repairs.
Reviews of the Best Handheld Sewing Machines
Singer is an incredible manufacturer of sewing machines. The brand has years of experience to boast and has potentially bossed every aspect and niche of the sewing industry. While there were doubts on how Singer would fare in the world of contemporary and portable sewing machines, the Singer Stitch Sew Quick Portable Mending Machine dispels all these doubts and reservations quickly.
While the machine is primarily focused on making small repairs, it can also help stitch up some heavy duty materials like leather and denim. This being said, you should not overexert it and should use it for light repairs rather than heavy duty tasks. The portable size is a blessing to have, as it ensures that the machine takes little to no space. It can even be cuddled up inside your bag as you head to work or on long trips. Trust us when we say that this handheld machine by Singer can come in handy at any time.
This Singer Stitch Mending Machine comes with a variety of bobbins, needles and a convenient needle threader. Based on your usage pattern or what seems convenient to you, you can either power this machine through a power adapter or with AA batteries. The portable machine is also effortless to use, and like many other sewing machines made by Singer, it can work on a number of different fabrics.
- Portable and compact to carry
- Easy to use
- Two power options available
- Ideal for beginners and DIY lovers
- Only suitable for light projects
The Jeteven Handheld Sewing Machine is the second model on our list of the best handheld sewing machines. This sewing machine does not only turn heads with its performance, but also with its appearance – owing much to its dazzling pink color and aesthetic design. This handheld sewing machine is an ideal option for children, but that doesn’t stop adults from using it. Besides sporting an attractive design, the machine also performs well when put under the strain of sewing.
The portable weight and characteristics make it an ideal option for people who are on the road. The compactness and portability make it even easier to pack with you on your travels. The Jeteven Handheld Sewing Machine can help you with a wide range of complicated and intricate tasks. The machine can work with silk-based materials while easily repairing thick drapes. The machine maintains a maximum sewing capacity of 1.8-millimeter, which should be kept in mind before purchasing it.
Like many other handheld sewing machines, you can power this machine with a DC 6V 600mA power adaptor or with 4 x AA batteries. The machine also comes with bobbin sewing threads, a measuring tape, a needle threader, a pair of scissors, sewing needles, an extension spindle and some pins. You also get a 180-day product exchange policy, which is significant for all such machines.
- Compact and lightweight design
- Extremely easy to handle
- Perfect for kids and beginners
- Beautiful design
- Two powering modes
- Plastic construction isn’t durable
- Includes bobbin w/thread and needle
- Power of a big machine--even sews denim
- Repairs delicate fabrics like silk
- Battery powered
The Singer Handy Stitch Handheld Portable Sewing Machine is a continuation of the standard that Singer has consistently set in the market. The machine works efficiently to give you the quality stitching and performance you need. The Singer brand name works like magic, as the machine is one of the most liked on Amazon. Buyers need a machine they can trust and who better to trust than Singer?
This handheld sewing machine also works well to add embellishments and new designs to your clothes. The machine can come in really handy when it comes to stitching new designs and adding to the previous ones.
Like all the other handheld sewing machines we have discussed on this list, the Singer Handy Stitch Handheld Portable Sewing Machine also happens to be quite lightweight and portable. You can conveniently place this machine inside your bag to use at work or while you are traveling. In any case, the machine won’t take up much space.
The stitch can come out every once in a while, which can be irritating for some users. Also, the sound generated by the machine is a bit loud and can irritate you to the core.
- The machine works perfectly for making embellishments
- Stitch strength and quality is above the regular par
- Good for sewing basic projects and handling makeshift repairs
- Very loud
- Can lose the stitch at times
- Amado introduces its Portable Sewing Handheld Machine which is a great choice for the professional as a quick stitch tool for fabric, clothing and kid’s cloth. The simple and convenient quick stitch tool is for home or travel use to make sewing repairs anywhere.
- The battery operated handheld sewing requires a very small power to operate which is 4 x AA batteries or DC 6V power adaptor. Since it uses a very little power when it provides a great result while comparing to its power consumption.
- The best mini handheld sewing machine comes with a compact design which is very attractive. Not only ergonomic design but convenient to use and ideal for beginners. The sewing is designed to easy to use which also takes limited time. The dimension of the machine is 8.1" x 1.8" x 2.8".
- This portable sewing device is a small size and handheld design machine which is not only easy to carry but also a ready to use. Anyone can start sewing anywhere after reading the manual. No setup or extra tools are required and excellent for on-the-spot repairs.
- The sewing handheld machine made from high-quality plastic and metal material for long-lasting heavy duty. However, the durable machine also provides 6 Months Guarantee for any quality problem. The package includes a portable sewing, Long-stick, Needle device, Sewing needle and Coil.
This Amado Mini Handheld Portable Sewing Machine takes the compactness and lightweight features of handheld sewing machines to a whole new level with its own size and spin on things. The machine is compact and lightweight in size and is more popularly known as a mini handheld sewing machine – talk about reducing size. This machine can handle several projects on the go and serves as the best repair machine during exhibitions or within schools. This machine is also fully capable of sewing clothes for children without any hassle.
The Amado Mini Handheld Portable Sewing Machine consumes very less power due to its compact nature and can run on either a 6v power adapter or 4 x AA batteries. The machine does look a bit intricate and complex with its design, but is fairly easy to use once you get accustomed to it. The compact nature makes it easy to carry in your bag.
This sewing machine is comparatively faster than some of the other machines we have reviewed on this list and gives you the best of both worlds; size and performance. The sewing needle that comes along with this machine offers decent quality and is better than the local hand sewing needle given alongside some of the other machines.
- The machine does all the repairing work itself without straining your hands
- Faster than other machines
- Needle is of good quality
- You can hold machine at eye level to have a clear look at fabric processing
- Capable of stitching in a straight line
- Built-in quality is cheap as the machine is made of a cheap plastic body
- 【Portable And Convenient】: The portable sewing machine is sturdy, it basically meets the requirements of you, but also lightweight with a mini size (21 x 7 x 5 cm), easy to use and carry, ideal for quick repairs easier and more convenient than traditional desktops.
- 【Perfect for All Fabrics】: You can sew it without taking off your clothes!! Suitable for almost all fabrics ≤1.8 mm. Ideal for sewing and repairing curtains, bags, pants, shirts, t-shirts, jeans and making your own craft etc. Note:its sewing thickness 1.8MM, too big, too hard or too soft materials can't be sewed.
- 【Easy to Use】: It needs 4 x AA batteries or DC 6v power adaptor(batteries and adaptor not include), It can be used after loading the line, automatic intelligent sewing, it so much faster and easier than using a needle, saving you time and money.
- 【Enjoy the Fun of DIY】: DIY Great Crafts. Ideal gift for your friends who are interested in sewing. An ideal gift for moms, girls, teens, friends and family. It can develop children's work habits and train sewing skills
- 【You Are Protected】In the rare circumstance that you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund or replace your order through our 100% Money Back Guarantee.
The Freyamall Portable Sewing Machine offers an ergonomic handheld design that does not exert additional stress onto your hands or arms. The machine is powered through a DC 6v Power Adaptor or 4 x AA batteries. The machine offers exceptional performance and can make some repairs that even conventional table top versions cannot handle.
The Freyamall Portable Sewing Machine is built to save time, money and energy. The machine offers convenient ease of use and is perfectly suited for someone who is just starting to practice embellishments or embroidery with a sewing machine. The mini-sewing size is compact and is extremely easy to operate.
The machine is also simple to carry and use for beginners and master level sewers alike. This machine also works well as a gift for children developing their passion in sewing. In short, you can carry this sewing machine around with you and not only learn the art, but also handle emergencies with ease.
- Extremely handy and simple to use
- Machine offers two power options
- Can work well as a gift for young children
- Low power usage
- Can take a lot of time and effort fixing once it breaks down
Buying Guide for the Best Handheld Sewing Machine
A handheld sewing machine will probably not offer you a full range of features. However, it will be a perfect solution for carrying around with you and using it for simpler tasks. Try to consider the factors below when it comes to buying the best handheld sewing machine in the market.
These machines require a power source to run, which is why it is one of the first things you should consider. While some machines are either power-operated or battery-operated, there are other options that offer both solutions to you. If you travel and need the sewing machine with you on the go, choose a machine that works on AA batteries or offers both sources of power, such as the Singer Stitch Sew Quick Portable Mending Machine.
Speed rates are actually straightforward, as the faster you are able to press the pedal, the faster it works. If you are an expert at sewing, you need to look for a handheld machine that offers higher speed. However, if you are a beginner, you should opt for something that is slow and helps you settle in on the learning curve.
If you will be carrying the unit with you on your travels and outdoor excursions, then you should probably consider the weight of the machine as well. The machine shouldn’t weigh much, as the more it weighs the harder it gets for you to carry around. Find a lightweight machine that is easy to transport. Most of the machines we have reviewed on our list are lightweight and don’t weigh much when you carry them.
You should preferably consider the purpose behind your purchase to identify whether it really is meant for you or not. Different machines work well for different purposes, which is why you should consider it before buying one.
Finally, you should consider the accessories that come included within the package. Researching the accessories inside the package and considering whether they work well for you or not is a priority you shouldn’t neglect. Of course no one wants to be spending extra on accessories, which is why you shouldn’t take this lightly.