Layered cakes are traditional and incredibly beautiful. Setting these out for a dessert for a professional occasion will always be a hit. When we see a professional baker create a layered cake, it looks incredibly easy. However, if you have ever tried to replicate it, you will probably have found that it was a lot harder than it looked.
When baking, a cake may start to crack or dome, which means the surface is not even enough to actually stack them. Then, there is the issue of getting the proverbial icing on the cake, which often means the buttercream ends up covered in crumbs.
Luckily, however, with practice, you should be able to make a perfect cake. And now, thanks to the Wilton Method: Baking Basics, you can really improve your skills.
What is The Wilton Method: Baking Basics?
The Wilton Method is an online class offered by Craftsy, who are known for the fantastic work they have done to help people learn how to cook or bake.
The virtual class is taught by Wilton’s Test Kitchen Manager, Beth Somers. She will make it look as if decorating a cake is as easy as putting your shoes on. At the same time, however, she will address all of the common issues people come across when they start to create their own cakes.
You will be introduced to a step by step guide to baking, starting with measuring out your ingredients and ending with putting on the actual finishing touches on a completely layered cake. It is a class that can be followed by beginners and more advanced bakers alike, as even the advanced bakers could sometimes do with getting a few hints and tips.
Additionally, you will be provided with recipes for everything that is used in the class, which includes chocolate filling, the classic yellow cake and buttercream icing.
Do try to stick to these recipes, because you will have the opportunity to ask questions throughout the course, which will be hard to answer if you are using different ingredients. It is even more important to use the same recipe for the icing, as you will learn to use the Wilton icing techniques as well, which requires a consistent frosting.
Consistency is key for when you start to make elaborate decorations such as flowers.
Price & What’s Included
Craftsy currently has a special offer on. This means that for just $24.99, you get to enjoy four different classes. Complete these and you may just want to enter yourself in The Next Great Baker Competition.
For the price, you get access to four vital courses, being:
- The Wilton Method: Baking Basics
- Buttercream Skills
- Decorating with Fondant
- Pipe Flowers
Additionally, it comes with a full money back guarantee. The offer basically means that you get four classes for the price of three, which is an amazing deal.
Looking specifically at the Baking Basics unit, you will receive 7 separate lessons. These are:
The lessons range from around 7 minutes to around 23 minutes. You can follow them in your own schedule, as they are delivered fully online.
Hence, you could set a full day apart and bake a cake following the step by step instructions, or you could simply sit back and watch the instructions, deciding to bake a cake on a different day. You are under no pressure to complete the course in a certain time period.
Learn the skills to make a classic yellow cake with rich chocolate filling and scrumptious buttercream icing
Review from a student:
I consider myself the recipe queen and have done a lot of baking, but never had any formal training. Toying with the idea of starting a cake business, I want to learn how to make my cakes more consistent and professional. This class was WONDERFUL. Beth is a great teacher, I learned many tips that will help me have a consistent result with my cakes, and have them look more professional. Thanks Beth!
What I Liked about the Wilton Method
- The program is designed for beginners, which means that even if you have never baked a cake before, you can learn to become really accomplished in your efforts.
- Although it is for beginners, it includes fantastic hints and tips that more experienced bakers can also use.
- It comes with fantastic recipes for the yellow cake, the buttercream icing and the chocolate filling.
- The information provided is really detailed, so you get to learn how to adjust consistency and color of your recipe and you learn how to mix properly.
- You learn about both spoon and smooth icing. Spoon icing, which you do with the back of a spoon, creates a really beautiful, homemade, vintage look that is super fashionable right now.
- Your cakes will look completely professional, so you can really impress your friends.
- Because it is delivered online, you can complete the course in your own time, without being pressured to follow somebody else’s schedule.
- You have an opportunity to ask questions at the end of the program.
- It currently comes in an affordable four classes special, so you can learn in your own time, gain loads of fantastic skills and only pay $24.99.
- It comes with a full money back guarantee if you’re not happy with the program.
What I Didn’t Like about the Wilton Method
- I would have liked to see a few more recipes. However, the Craftsy website is full of other wonderful ideas, recipes and more. Once you have mastered how to make a layered cake, you can start experimenting with other recipes and make something that is truly your own.
- Once you start to bake cakes, you inevitably start to eat cakes as well. One thing this course really isn’t good for is the waistline!
The Final Verdict on the Wilton Method
Overall, I believe the Wilton Method: Baking Basics to be a fantastic program. It well exceeded my expectations and does a lot more than simply provide basic information. In fact, I would say the information is highly advanced, but it is presented in such a way that anybody can understand it.
Whether you want to impress your daughter for her next birthday and deliver a beautiful cake, or whether you actually want to get into the cake making business and have a portfolio of stunningly decorated three tier cakes on offer is up to you, this program can help you achieve it. I fully recommend it.